The aptly named Strong-Hurt Pharmacy, captained by long-time Hendersonites Tommy Strong and Cliff Hurt, is the hub of historic downtown Henderson. Located in a circa 1900 edifice on East Main Street, the building has always housed a pharmacy and was one of the first downtown buildings to be renovated during the 1980’s Main Street revitalization program.
Today the pharmacy is filled with historic trinkets such as old medicine bottles and the like, and the back room hosts the Strong-Hurt Coffee Club, whose members solve the problems of the world during twice-daily get-togethers.
Owner Tommy Strong has been at the location since 1974, and co-owner Cliff Hurt since 1996. Cliff is the son of the equally aptly named Dr. Clifton Hurt, Sr., deceased – a well-known local dentist for many years.
Strong-Hurt Pharmacy is the kind of place that Andy and Barney would recognize, a hometown, down-home gathering spot for anyone and everyone and a place to kick back and visit with friends at the Coffee Club. And just like “Cheers”, it’s a place where “everybody knows your name.”